Thursday, December 29, 2011

dead battery

just back from a week's vacation, despite disconnecting the 12v battery, and despite charging it up a few hours right before leaving, it was down to 5v when I returned...  Not a problem with the car, just a weak battery.  It should be able to sit disconnected for a week without going dead.  Anyway, I've found I can easily jump-start it by touching a quarter across the DC/DC contactor, which sends 13v from the 160v main pack to the aux battery and gets everything up and running.

In other news, I've begun tearing the upper motor mounts a little bit.  A redesign has already happened in my head, just need to make it happen in the car now...  Basically I want to replace the upper mounts which are simple cylindrical rubber vibration isolation mounts with the original beefy rubber engine mount that was in the car.  I've ordered the parts I need, but it will require fabricating a new end plate to connect the motor to the new mount.  And will require pulling the motor/trans out again.  That's ok, there's a few other things I want to do in there too that will be a lot easier with it all out.

Next update will probably be in a few weeks, I'm not going to tear it apart until after the new year, and after I have a chance to get the Big Red Van's transmission looked at (it's slipping a bit).  In the meantime, I've lowered the motor amps to 350a to save from doing more damage to the upper mount.

No comments:

Post a Comment